Tuesday 29 October 2013

Iceland Salmon Parcels


These Iceland's own Salmon Parcels were picked up from the shop on the recommendation of my husband, who loves them. I'd not had them before, and wasn't sure what to expect. The box contains two salmon parcels: "Salmon fillet pieces in a dill sauce wrapped in a puff pastry." They're made in Denmark.


Here's what one looks like out of the box. There's about half as much dried dill on the frozen parcels as there is on the ones in the picture on the box. Other than that, they look like I expected. They cook for 20 to 25 minutes in a pre-heated oven.


Fresh out of the oven, and nicely browned around the edges. This one actually looks better than the picture on the box, to be fair. Still could use a more of the dried dill seasoning in my opinion.


Sliced open for a cross-section view. The dill sauce is actually quite thick, so it doesn't ooze out quite like the sauce on the box. I thought they might skimp on the sauce because it's hidden inside the pastry, but they haven't. Which is good, because the sauce is delicious. I checked with my husband, and he confirms that his pastry also had a generous amount of sauce.

However, the salmon fillet themselves were not exactly what I would call fillets, they were more like salmon MDF. They weren't as tender as a real salmon fillet would have been, they were denser. There was quite a bit of salmon packed into the little hunk of salmon MDF and it was filling, but a true fillet would have been better. Considering the price on these though, it was a good value on a pricier fish.

SCORE:
Appearance: 8/10, they actually look much better cooked than the photo on the box. Sometimes I think Iceland needs to hire a new photographer, they have a knack for making things look bland.
Taste: 7/10 from me, I thought these were good in spite of the salmon 'fillet'. DH marks them 8/10.
Value: 9/10
Nutrition: 6/10, but keep in mind that these go well with a side of veg in a healthy dinner. On their own, however, I have to give 6/10 marks for nutrition because the sauce is quite fatty, containing (among other things) milk, full fat soft cheese, cheddar cheese, maize starch, and margarine. Did I mention that the sauce is quite good? There's a reason for that. Each parcel is only 306 kcal, however, which surprised me after looking at the ingredient list.

No comments:

Post a Comment